7/8/13

Before Facebook, I Had Hobbies

Anytime I'm asked to list my interests/hobbies my canned response is always: reading, writing, cooking. 

I rarely spend any time doing these beloved pastimes. My wise partner always says, "We make time for the things we want to do." It's true. And apparently, I just want to read my news feed. Write tweets and look at recipes instead of engaging myself in the actual activities I claim to love. 

Enter summer break. Today is my first Monday off. I've decided not to waste my life away on social media. I'm going to set some goals instead. Today I had two: mow the side yard and put away all the folded, clean laundry I'd been stockpiling on a chair. Yep, I do that. I was successful before noon, so I started reading a book and took a nap. It was fabulous! And now I'm writing (well, typing) actual words...

What prompted all of this is that my Goodreads "to-read" list was about to exceed my "read" list--198 vs 236.  I've got a plan and a stack of delicious books on the nightstand at the ready. I'm excited about reclaiming my time and my life! I may even venture into my wanna-be hobbies: organizing and sewing. 

What are your hobbies? What's keeping you for doing what you love? You know, you make time for what you want to do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment